Saturday, June 20, 2020

The love of a daddy



The love of a daddy is never forgotten. I miss my dad every day, he's been with Jesus for over four years. Father's Day weekend the past four years has been hard, but this year it's a little easier. I think it's because I'm able to focus on all of the gifts he gave me and my boys. The fog has cleared a little, and I'm seeing all of the the great things he taught us. These things that are so woven in our lives, and I did not have the ability to see they were given to me from him until now. I've always said that grief is a nasty beast, we can not control it. But I have learned that we can live through it.

Thank you dad, for being you. He was a big influence in my life from the beginning. When I was little I remember his big laugh, he had a big presence in a room. He filled it with love the minute he walked in a room. Wow, look how young he was when I was born, a baby himself.



Thank you dad for teaching me to make the most of every day. He was loyal and and hard working and taught me to appreciate the little things along the way. Whenever he could, we would have fun as a family, at the beach or a water park and he was right in the middle playing along with all of us. When he passed away I started using the hashtag #luvlivebig because that is what he did, every day.


Thank you dad for teaching me my love of dance.  He loved to dance and was a fan of Kenny Rodgers, oh how I remember listening to The Gambler on the record player. I think Kenny was the sound track of my youth. He taught me the classic dances and always said that my ballet training would not be enough, I needed to know how to fox trot and waltz and he wanted to be the one to teach me. We would spin around in the den and I will always remember his smile and the laughter.



Thank you dad for giving me my love for the beach. He loved going to the beach every summer and he taught me that sunrises were magical and you could find the best sea treasures in the early morning hours. I would often join him on his early morning walks. He was a quiet soul much like me and we would walk for an hour without speaking along the water's edge picking up treasures along the way. From these walks, I learned that I needed quiet time every morning to best prepare for the day. I still wake up early most mornings while the  house is quiet and enjoy this time. Thank you dad for letting me walk along beside you on those beach mornings, they are some of my favorite memories. 


Thank you dad for your gift with words. He was creative and had a natural gift with words. I also love to write and I am so grateful for all the cards and letters he wrote me over the years. Reading his words mean so much and I love seeing his handwriting, 



Thank you dad for you love of Southern food and BBQ. My favorite was always his gravy and biscuits. He would roll out the home made biscuits with a M, S and T for all of his kids and his gravy was the very best. Breakfast will always be my favorite meal and the one I like to prepare most for my family. When I was out of college and working he still made me a home made breakfast platters to go every morning and when I was living on my own, some mornings I would walk out of my apartment to find a hot plate of gravy and biscuits on my door step with a note. He could BBQ like no other. Every time I smell backyard BBQ I think of him. 

Thank you dad for being the best Pops to my boys. You loved them all BIG and were their biggest fans. Whenever something happens in their lives I want to call you. Then I realize, you already know and I can see your big smile and can hear you telling them Way to go! Your love for them will never fade, it was just so big in life and will never end. 



Happy Father's Day in heaven Pops. Until I see you again I will continue to do my best to honor you each day and we will all keep on keepin' on just like you taught us. #luvlivebig

Grace and Peace, 
Misty 






No comments:

Post a Comment